Sunday, January 8, 2012

the best is yet to come...

Well this is my first blog post! I am super excited to be doing this.  So many exciting things are going on in my life, I was going to start a journal but then I thought it would be nice to share with others and get some feed back on some of my projects, photographs and such.  I don't know anything about blogging but I am looking forward to posting bits and pieces of myself.  I hope through this experience I can learn a little bit more about myself and share with others the things I love...
For tonight I'm not going to write a long post but rather leave you with a poem that inspires me and is origin of my blog title.  Mary Oliver is one of my very favorite poets and in the last stanza are some words I live by:

Starlings in Winter
 
Chunky and noisy,
but with stars in their black feathers,
they spring from the telephone wire
and instantly
 
they are acrobats
in the freezing wind.
And now, in the theater of air,
they swing over buildings,
 
dipping and rising;
they float like one stippled star
that opens,
becomes for a moment fragmented,
 
then closes again;
and you watch
and you try
but you simply can’t imagine
 
how they do it
with no articulated instruction, no pause,
only the silent confirmation
that they are this notable thing,
 
this wheel of many parts, that can rise and spin
over and over again,
full of gorgeous life.
 
Ah, world, what lessons you prepare for us,
even in the leafless winter,
even in the ashy city.
I am thinking now
of grief, and of getting past it;
 
I feel my boots
trying to leave the ground,
I feel my heart
pumping hard.  I want
 
to think again of dangerous and noble things.
I want to be light and frolicsome.
I want to be improbably beautiful and afraid of nothing,
as though I had wings.
 
~ Mary Oliver ~

2 comments:

  1. Yay love it :) so glad we can be blog friends now too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome to blogland! love that poem and the title of your blog :)

    ReplyDelete